Sunday, September 28, 2008

Quotable Women

My eldest sister gifted a subscription to More magazine to me for no reason last year. More magazine caters to women over 40. I am 38. Hmmm.

I do admit to finding value in the magazine. This current issue was especially poignant. I'd like to share with you three quotes from the magazine that hit me in the oomph spot.

"'We do not need magic to transform our world. We carry all the power we need inside ourselves already.' - J.K. Rowling, 43 in her commencement address at Harvard." (p. 27)

On living in Afghanistan, Jean MacKenzie says:

"If you cannot tell the difference between a sexual come-on and a death threat, then, in the words of one of our great political thinkers, you are in deep doo-doo." (p. 88)

And every corporation in America should take a lead from the following job negotiation between the University of Chicago Medical Center and breast-feeding-mom Michelle Obama:

"...she went to the interview with two-month-old Sasha in her arms. "I had on a breast-feeding top. I strolled in: 'Hi! This is me! New Baby!...'" She launched into her deal breaking list of demands: high salary, decent budget, an absolute right to structure her own hours."

Guess what? They gave her everything she asked for and she built a "whole new arm of the hospital." (p. 214) Don't let anything prevent you from breastfeeding your baby!

Check out www.more.com if you'd like to learn "more" about this magazine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great magazine. I am not 40 yet either. But it is not that far away.