Monday, September 22, 2008

WAHM w/o Power

I missed last Monday's post. I had no electric. Who'd have thought that Hurricane Ike would strike us here in SW Pennsylvania? It did. And it did bad. Thousands were without power for days. We lost ours for 2 days and the news is saying there are still a few folks without it yet.

Starting last week with no power made for a strange week. My business is internet based, as well as my kiln is an electric kiln. So, no electric meant not much work getting done. I did run over to my SIL's to use her computer, (and shower) but all firing was on hold. And that threw off my groove and put me behind.

I was almost caught up when Ike struck. I could see the bottom of my order pile....it was within reach. Then Ike came and went and my small pile orders grew into a larger one. Funny how many new orders came in last week. Which is good. But sometimes it is nice to know that you are caught up and have some breathing room.

Add on top of the newly placed orders, the current orders I screwed up. I'm going to blame it on our 2 days without electricity, because I want to blame it on something. I am not a stupid person, yet I made a few really stupid mistakes last week that I can only correct by repainting the orders. I'm not taking the blame for those myself, I must have been distracted or stressed or something. I know better.

This is not a good time for me to be making mistakes. Although, it's better to make them now and not in month or two when I am really swamped. It's just that I have SO MUCH to do to prepare for the fall rush and I don't have time to do it because I have to repaint orders that I should have done right in the first place. (How's that for a run-on sentence?) Argh, it's just frustrating.

At the very least, last week showed me I have to slow down a wee bit, take my time and read my orders carefully. Pay attention to the details. Or I will be in a hole too deep to climb out of when the holiday rush hits. And that will be very, very bad.

1 comment:

Stitchen - Custom Embroidery said...

Oh my gosh, I have done that. Get in too big a hurry and all reason just goes out the door. :( I have total faith in you. You will get caught up in no time.